Scene’s intrepid editor, Gareth Bryant aka The Matchstick will make his festival DJing debut when he plays Island Vibe next month.
[Ed’s note: doesn’t matter that it’s 11am Sunday!!]
To prepare for the occasion, Matchstick shares his once not-so secret recipe for the perfect kebab.
1. Cheese. Don’t go skimping on the dairy now, even if it does give you an upset tum-tum. The cheese is the glue that holds any kebab together. They teach you that in kebab extras 101.
2. Pineapple. Yeah, yeah... you never put pineapple with anything that’s hot. Stuff that. I have it with pasta, pizza and kebabs. It’s the sweetness that makes it a must-have.
3. I’ll have mine minus the lettuce and tomato. Who needs all that extra water, dude? It’s just tasteless filler, man. Ramp up the onion levels if you really need the vegetable quota higher.
4. Satay sauce. Yep, I add an extra sauce element to my meat finger delight. Sour cream and bbq are the requisite first two choices — always. The satay adds that extra ‘pop’ your mouth will water itself over.
5. Black olives. The salty taste highlights the rest of the kebab in a way that even the most enlightened sherpa can’t explain. I know I can’t.
The Matchstick joins a horde of acts and DJs performing at Island Vibe Festival, North Stradbroke Island, October 25-27. islandvibe.com.au