Songs That Made Me is a project that Katie Noonan has conceived and put together.
“In honour of the Songs That Made Me gigs that feature an all girl six-piece band and some of my favourite Aussie chick musos — Angie Hart from Frente!; Abby Dobson from Leonardo's Bride; and gorgeous young singer Martha Marlow — I thought I would reflect on five of my favourite female Aussie musicians."
1. Chrissie Amphlet. Well it's just got be said that Chrissie is the undisputed Queen of Aussie rock/ pop music. Who else had that swagger, that voice, that sexiness and that depth? She absolutely rocked a career filled with killer songs, great outfits and amazing stories — and all with an incredible sense of honesty and integrity.
2. Dame Joan Sutherland. At her peak, Dame Joan's crystal clear soprano voice was absolutely unequalled. She is such a testament to seeing real results from working really hard. She took her self from a mezzo soprano all the way through to one of the best coloratura soprano voices of all time. I was lucky enough to do a vocal workshop with her, and she was incredibly down to earth and had an awesome no bullshit Aussie attitude. On the day she died, I was incredibly honoured to sing on the Sydney Opera House Concert Hall Stage with the Sydney Symphony Orchestra; it felt incredibly special to be there, on the stage where she had taken her final bow from performing, on the day she took her final bow from life.
3. Deborah Conway. I have to take my hat off to a woman who has the lyric: "Your pubic hairs are on my pillow"... and does it with such aplomb! I was lucky enough to do 'Man Overboard' as a duet with Deb and my band George — what a thrill for me as a young woman to sing with such a badass chick! She is a truly fabulous woman. She really calls it like it is, looks you in the eye intensely and she keeps on making her beautiful art with great integrity. ‘It's Only The Beginning’ is still one of my favourite Aussie pop songs.
4. Kylie Minogue. Well I gotta say I don't really love her voice ( sorry!!!!!) but I do love her work ethic and her ability to constantly re-invent herself and make really, really great pop music. I also love her style. Her album pics are really works of art. In the Songs That Made Me concert we do a nice sultry, sexy slow version of ‘Confide In Me’ — my favourite Kylie tune.
5. Ruby Hunter. I adored Aunty Ruby and am still so sad she is no longer with us. I remember meeting her and her soulmate Archie Roach years ago at the ARIAs and feeling a real kindred connection. Years later we shared the stage together and a career highlight for me was when she called me her "deadly sister". I love her song 'Women's Business' and the way she growls to the men — "This is women's business — LEAVE IT ALONE!" R.I.P AUNTY RUBY.
Songs That Made Me plays at The Old Museum Concert Hall Saturday December 14.